(Rev 4 NA) Stopped starting, security light flashing

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
lista
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 0

(Rev 4 NA) Stopped starting, security light flashing

Post by lista »

Hey All

I took my MR2 out of the garage just before, pulled off the drive and turned around to reverse it back into the garage.

I left it on the drive with the lights on only, no engine running, for maybe 2 minutes. I then noticed the lights go out, and I went over and turned the key to start the engine, but nothing happened - the fan at the front started but the car did nothing. I turned it off and tried again, nothing.

It started chucking it down so I pushed it back into the garage, tried to lock and unlock with my fob - nothing. Got into the car to open the bonnet, and the security light started going (for some reason this stopped when I pressed the brake?), anyway, I turned the key and it stopped. I disconnected the negative terminal, reconnected and tried again, no starting and no fob locking. The security light has now stopped, I can lock and unlock with the key, but it won’t start. When the key is turned in the ignition, my radio nor anything else that requires ignition to work will turn on.

When I press my fob in the car, the car does recognise it as it’ll show the door open symbol when clicking unlock and make some clicking when I click lock, but it doesn’t actually do anything. I have had the car on a trickle charge for the day as it has been garaged for a while, and I will note that I put in a new alternator today so the battery has been disconnected - but was on charge when doing so.

I’ve uploaded a video here (https://imgur.com/a/KUmh6qO) of the security light and ticking coming from the centre console area, but I’m just wondering what has happened? Has the car immobilised itself and I’m unable to get it to work with the key or FOB, or perhaps is my battery toast - which I think may be the case?

It started easily a few times earlier when testing the alternator, but now just refuses - unsure what to do, any help is appreciated!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: (Rev 4 NA) Stopped starting, security light flashing

Post by jimi »

Sounds to me like a dead battery, disconnect the battery and check its voltage with a meter. You could try using jump leads and see if it will start.
The immobiliser only stops the car starting, it wouldn't affect the lights, radio etc
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
lista
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 0

Re: (Rev 4 NA) Stopped starting, security light flashing

Post by lista »

jimi wrote: 29/03/24 19:51 Sounds to me like a dead battery, disconnect the battery and check its voltage with a meter. You could try using jump leads and see if it will start.
The immobiliser only stops the car starting, it wouldn't affect the lights, radio etc
Thanks Jimi, I’ll give it a jump tomorrow and see if all is well. Might be due a new battery soon, so will see how I fair tomorrow - cheers!

Return to “MK2”